The classical theme of the complex was established in 1824 with the oldest existing building, the temple-form Washington Hall, and has continued in a building program that extended over 150 years. Recently the Colonnade underwent a multi-phased, meticulous preservation of the historical building facades, rehabilitation of interior features, and overall infrastructure installations and upgrades. Encompassing five buildings – Newcomb, Payne, Washington, Robinson, and Tucker Halls – the Colonnade is the heart of Washington and Lee’s campus.
Constructed in 1935, Tucker Hall is the easternmost of five buildings of the Colonnade and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The building underwent a significant renovation in the early 1980’s when a new floor level for the University’s computing center was inserted in the original two-story law library space.
Tucker Hall was the final Colonnade building to undergo restoration and renovation. The project restored portions of the original two‐story law reading room, preserved historic design features, and brought the structure up to code. Tucker Hall will be returned to use by the college’s Romance Language, Classics, and Religion departments. Additional spaces include conference, meeting, and seminar rooms, a kitchenette, lounges, and storage. The exterior work included minor repair of the existing fabric, and a new entry and stairway was added over the areaway to the great hall from Stemmons Plaza on the north side of the building.
EEI was selected to provide LEED retro-commissioning services Tucker Hall, and the project was completed in 2018. Our team commissioned systems including the heating, chilled water, and electrical systems. Several issues with the HVAC equipment control sequence were reviewed and corrected before the system was installed to save time and money for the project. EEI also made recommendations to shut off equipment when in unoccupied mode to assist with energy savings. Our team helped set up several sensors, valves, and units in the mechanical and electrical systems so the University did not have to fix these issues.